E-Mail

Email me or take the button.

You know you want to. *wiggles fingers at you in a hypnotic fashion* Pretty button. Take the pretty button...

Knit Alongs and other Knitting Goodness...

My Links

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Have you seen this travesty?!

Alrighty folks... I've always been a political person but I've never really brought that to my blog but this time, I kind of have to. Actually, I really have to. I know this may make some of you not want to read my blog anymore and you completely have the right to do so and I'd be sad to see you go. But I have to do this and I hope you will read on.

For everyone in the US who can do something about it; have you seen this bullshit?

I know a lot of people have issues with immigration but I think a lot of people forget... this country is what it is because of immigration. Legal or not. A lot of people forget about all the folks fleeing the potato famine. Fleeing the wars overseas back near the turn of the century. Hell, my own grandfather came here in 1917 (not so legally I might add) and worked in a munitions factory making shells during the war.

Do you realize how awful this is? The man's child (who is a US citizen! Legally thank you very much!) could be sent to a place where his wife fled as a little girl for her very life! Our nation has sent this man over to the Middle East THREE TIMES and here our country is saying thank you to her for giving up having a husband at home by telling her to take her ass, her kid and get the fuck out. That's some messed up shit folks! Look at this woman who's husband DIED on their honeymoon, trying to save two children from drowning. Now that he's dead, she's probably going to be forced to leave the country. That's fucked up folks!

Now I know some of you might say that they should have applied for citizenship a long time ago. I agree... but... BUUUUUUT the first woman listed missed it on a technicality and the second woman was in the process of doing so. What the hell? Both were technically here legally already but now, that is in jeopardy. I know some people don't realize just how long or how much it takes to become a citizen. It can take years in some cases. Like upward of 5, ten or even 20 years depending upon the money you have.

So I ask you all. Have we all forgotten what Lady Liberty says?

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Apparently we have.

So what can we do my fellow Americans? Write your representatives! This is what I have always said about anything. Write them. You may not have voted for them but you know what? They have the job and that means, make them work for you! Remind them that the power lies with the people. A lot of them have forgotten that...

This is what I sent out today:

Dear Honorable Congressman Coble, Senator Dole, and Senator Burr,

A travesty is occurring in our nation. Soldiers are fighting, being wounded and dying over seas and all the while, they are faced with the prospect of their spouses/families being deported.

We have an issue here, Sirs and Madam, that needs immediate action! Our soldiers are fighting for our rights and our nation and yet our nation is disgracing them by committing such an act of callousness.

I say that we should allow amnesty for all active duty and reserve soldiers whose spouses/family members are not US citizens so that they are allowed to stay here on US soil while their loved ones are deployed. This will also allow them to legally apply for citizenship. It's bad enough these people who we owe so much have to serve away from their families for so long but then to add the thought of their families being forced out of our nation to places where their very lives could also be at stake is horrific!

Senators, Congressman, call for a Bill to make this action possible. We all owe our soldiers (veterans, active and reserve) so much already. This is something simple that can be done to make their lives easier as they bleed for us.

As the wife of a Disabled US Air Force Veteran, the granddaughter of a KIA US Army soldier and the sister of a retired US Army Solider, I plead with you... please do what is in your power to help our soldiers. They suffer for us all enough as it is. Take this bit of suffering off their hearts and minds.

Thank you.

Mrs. Lisa P

Now you may not agree with me and you are well within your right to do so. But if you do agree... please help do something about it. That's all I ask.

*hugs*